Future of Work
This changes are not to be feared, but it will require that we keep learning. Therefore, professionals in career centers, human resources and workforce development are all talking about these changes and helping to prepare professionals to participate in this new kind of economy.
Research suggests that some demographic groups have traditionally lagged others in the adoption of new technology and when the workforce changes. One of our goals at The HBCU Career Center is to ensure that the HBCU community stays aware and involved in technology changes driving workforce changes.
Our goal is to ensure that HBCU career center programs are focused on the emerging skills needed for career success today.
HBCU students are often very creative and innovative and this is an exciting time to solve problems using the emerging technologies.
- Algorithm-Based-Hiring (ABH): This is a term I developed through my research to describe the process of using artificial intelligence through algorithms to automate recruitment and selection decisions at points within the hiring process.
- Gig Economy: The gig economy is the concept of short term jobs and projects everywhere and all the time. Forbes.com, the quintessential business magazine reports that 57 million Americans (36 % of the workforce) is earning money in the gig economy right now. See the list below of popular gig opportunities that you can pretty much do from a college dorm room.
- Future of Work: As defined by Deloitte, the future of work is being shaped by two powerful forces. First, the growing adoption of artificial intelligence in the workplace, and 2) the workforce that includes “both on- and off-balance-sheet talent.” Now is a good time to learn a little bit more about the Gig Economy.
- Recruiting Bots: HR and recruiting professionals are using bots (robots) many places in the recruiting and hiring process. Essentially, these are artificial intelligence tools like your iPhone Siri or Amazon Alexa that can sift through a lot of information with relative speed. Here are 5 Ways that Recruiters are Using Artificial Intelligence in Hiring.
- Knowledge Work Automation: The use of computers to perform tasks currently being done by middle to high skilled employees that rely on complex analyses, subtle judgments, and creative problem solving. This is work that is typically considered as only being able to be completed by humans (Source is McKinsey, 2013).
Career Ready Skills for the Future of Work
Employers remind us every year about the Career Readiness Competencies that they seek in new hires. The National Association of Colleges and Employers updates this list yearly. Here are the ratings on importance (out of 5) from employers for 2019.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving – 4.7
- Teamwork/Collaboration – 4.5
- Professionalism/Work Ethic – 4.4
- Oral/Written Communications – 4.3
- Digital Technology – 3.8
- Leadership – 3.7
- Career Management – 3.4
- lobal/Multicultural Fluency – 2.8
Automation and the Future of Work
To get caught up really quickly, here are a few resources and articles to explore. Some of the article are from my own research site at RayeMartinGroup.
- Criminal Justice Majors; Explore Artificial Intelligence Technology
- 3 Ways Tech is Driving Workplace Changes
- Women and Work in the Age of Automation
- Ai Will Lower Costs in Call Centers; Will it Also Lower Head Count?
- Just How Friendly and Unbiased can a Job Interviewing Bot Really Be?
Earn Gig Economy Money
- 100 Websites that Pay Writers is a great list of opportunities for writers.
- Etsy, Amazon and eBay all allow you to set up shop and be an online retailer.
- Uber, Lyft allow you to drive when you want and make money doing it.
- 11 Best Apps for dog walking including Wag and Rover.
- GrubHub, DoorDash and Uber Eats are both food delivery services.
- Online tutoring jobs via TheBalance.com.
The list of opportunities to earn money in the gig economy could benefit students on college campuses in remote locations where local brick and mortar jobs may be scarce. You might not only want to work in the gig economy, you may want to brainstorm ideas of problems you can solve in the gig economy and start a business.