Freshman Year Experience
If you are beginning your college life, regardless of your age, and if you are like most students, you might still be fuzzy on what career path you will want to pursue in the future. If you are one of the few students who have a pretty good idea about what your future career could be, I want to caution you – Do not be surprised if at some point during your college experience, especially during your freshman year experience, you change your mind. Studies show that at least 50% of college students change majors at least once before they graduate.
Why college students change their major:
- As you discover your V.I.S.A. (Values, Interest, Skills and Abilities) you might become curious about other college majors
- You have no idea about the career options that await you. It’s possible that you could pursue a well known profession, an emerging profession or even make up your own path, not yet defined.
- You might find that once you take a class in your major, you decide that you really don’t like the material you will have to study at all.
Tips to make Freshman year experience a success:
- Don’t get hung up on job titles for future careers. Think more about what you want to DO instead of what you want to BE.
- Understand that your social media presence can last a really long time.
- Expand your career and industry awareness by asking questions, reading and going to events on campus.
- Focus on academics. Many competitive internships in your sophomore and junior years will require a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Explore activities to really understand your V.I.S.A.
- Find the career center on your campus
- Use the Personal Exploration tools in Career Resources to explore your V.I.S.A.
- Register with the career center to get updates about career events on campus.
- Get your job search documents ready (Resume, Cover Letter, Thank you letter)
- Plan your summers early. Don’t leave college without a study abroad experience, volunteering, internships and doing meaningful spring breaks.
Freshman Career Resources:
- 3 Things Black Students Must Do Before Graduating College
- 20 Pieces of Real Advice for College Freshmen
- Best Majors for Future Employment
- Are you in a Dead end college major?
- 5 Growing Careers for Math Majors
- 3 Activities for a College Freshman Summer Plan
- Add a College Minor to Get your Foot in the Door
- Personal Exploration Tools
- O*NET Interest Profiler
- Expand Career and Industry Awareness
- Resume Development
- List of HBCU Career Centers
- Study Abroad
- Twitter – The HBCU Career Center
- Facebook – The HBCU Career Center
- Jobs and Internships
- Seventeen Magazine – 17 Reasons you will Love Freshman Year
- US News Education – 10 Tips College Freshman Should Know
- myFootpath – Career Advice for College Freshmen