If you are wondering why internships are important; the reasons are many!
First and foremost – Employers value internships!
Whether you are a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior attending a HBCU, internships should be a part of your college experience and your long term career strategy.
Whether the company or your college or university career center calls this kind of college work experience a Co-op or an Internship — it doesn’t matter. What should matter are the benefits you will get from the co-op or internship experience. Here are just a few:
- You will feel a really great sense of accomplishment landing a competitive internship.
- You will get to explore a career or an industry from the inside.
- You will get the chance to develop industry-specific abilities.
- You will gain real industry knowledge and insight to bring back to your classes.
- You will build your professional network of contacts meeting potential mentors and sponsors.
- You will master the job search process.
- You might get a full time career offer even before graduation. In fact, most employers consider internship experience in the hiring process, and look to their own interns as the best potential candidates for full-time positions.
10 Best Websites for Finding Internships (Forbes.com)