Job interview meal etiquette is just as important as resume writing and job interview preparation for new grads. Eating a meal with a potential or new employer can be pretty scary for college students. These simple table manners tips will help any college student survive a job interview meal with a new or potential employer.
By the way, all of us forget meal etiquette sometimes and so this is a quick refresher on basic business dining etiquette tips:
1. Keep elbows off the table
2. Wait until everyone is seated before you begin to eat
3. Turn off cell phones
4. Place napkin on the table when you are finished eating
5. Sit up straight and be attentive
6. Do not order messy finger foods like ribs, chicken wings
7. Know which glass and utensils are yours. Your glass on your right, bread/roll on the left!
8. Avoid speaking with food in your mouth
9. Break off and butter a small piece of bread at a time
10. Avoid alcohol at all costs
There are more details to each of these, but these 10 basics will keep you safe. In addition job interview meal etiquette and dining tips, these cheat sheets from Etiquette for Dummies are a must read.
Check your career center office for any handouts they might have on business dining etiquette. If they don’t have or help them to plan a session to help you and classmates learn more about job interview meal etiquette.
Want more updates like this? Subscribe to The HBCU Career Center blog feed.