College seniors should always be in graduation mode and have plans for next steps after college. However, if you don’t you shouldn’t feel bad. Most college students don’t really prep for life after college.
5 tips to prep for life after graduation
1. Do personal research: Learn and understand your V.I.S.A. – Values, Interests, Skills and Abilities
2. Chart a job search strategy: Resumes, Interviews, Social Media, Brand management and networking activities
3. Clean up digital dirt: Go over your social media accounts – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc and clean up anything you no longer approve. Create your LinkedIn profile
4. Start spreading the news of graduation and plans after college: As part of your networking strategy tell people about your pending commencement and share any plans you have. Solicit help. No one expects you to have it all figured out.
5. Build your industry and workplace knowledge: The workplace today is changing rapidly and recruiters are looking for people who have practical knowledge of the workplace eg. Use our workplace glossary to improve your workplace knowledge of basic words and terms.
As you prep for life after graduation, know that this is a very special time of your life. Many things will happen over which you have no control. For example, you don’t necessarily know what kind of economy will exist when you graduate. Having a few plans under your belt, will help you manage everything that is to come.