This list of 10 Pointers for Success in the First Year on the Job was developed by Shaquaya Shelby, Spelman College ’05 alumni for TheHBCUCareerCenter.com. Shelby is a Recruiter with Equity Residential.
10 Pointers for your First Year on a New Job
- Be humble! Lose the ego and sense of entitlement.
- Be a sponge! Strive to learn as much as possible about the culture of your new employer.
- Be resourceful! Know where to go for the answers you need.
- Be visible! Volunteer for projects that are available to you and speak up if you have valuable ideas to contribute.
- Be social and approachable! Network with team members in and outside of your department or immediate work group.
- Be patient! Mastery of your job function and rewards for your accomplishments will come in due time.
- Be honest! Have integrity and be accountable for your actions and choices.
- Be a good listener! Do a little less talking, a little more listening, and ask great questions.
- Be selective! Pay attention to the company you keep and surround yourself with positive, professional, and motivated peers. No gossiping or participating in office politics.
- Be prepared! Remain as punctual, professionally dressed, and well spoken as you were when you interviewed. Don’t get overly comfortable.
List developed by Shaquaya Shelby, Spelman College, ’05